Saturday, June 11, 2011

Filling the Bucket

This will be the last post written from the perspective of a first grade teacher. Next year, I move to fourth grade. The stories will be good, but they won't be the same.

However, something like this will probably never happen again. This is Filling the Bucket.

Every month, the actual school counselor comes in to do a lesson with the kiddos. In December, it was about that warm fuzzy feeling. As teachers, we were asked to list 3 things that we liked about each student to be read aloud during the lesson. No problem, I love my kids and tried my best to make sure each student heard something unique and special. They discussed how we each carry an invisible bucket that holds our warm fuzzy feelings. When bullies hurt us, it is like they are kicking over our bucket and some of our warm fuzzy feelings fall out. Compliments, helping others, and friendship are ways to re-fill our buckets.

At this time the kids took turns filling each other's buckets. As classroom teachers, we aren't normally a part of the counselor lesson, but in this instance I had stayed in the room and worked. Near the end, our Counselor asked if anyone needed more drops in their bucket, and the kids said "We didn't fill Miss Wishon's bucket." So she asked for three things that they liked about me. The following is the greatest list I could have ever imagined.

1. She lets us do fun stuff on Fridays.
2. We are all her favorites; she loves us all the same.
3. She treats us like we're her own kids.

We all know I cried, and that my bucket now runneth over for life. I don't care what you do, or what awards you've won, you will never know what that felt like. The moments like that remind me that teaching is the greatest privilege, and I'm lucky to be know it.

I love you so much first graders; I can't wait to see you again in a few years.

No comments: